"LA CITADELLE"

 

From the remparts of La Citadelle (also known as Fort Adelaide), there are panoramic views of the entire city with its amphitheatre of mountains, the Champs de Mars Race course and the harbour. The fort was named after Queen Adelaide, wife of William IV and built between 1834 and 1840 as a lookout post to check civil disorder within the city. Limited parking space is available with a security guard in attendance. For many years the fort was abandoned and fell into ruin but recently it had been the venue of pop concerts and sound and light shows.